Saturday, May 24, 2008

 

London by day


National Gallery
Originally uploaded by Adeeh2
I did a 3 day course at Piccadilly and had a lovely walk in from Waterloo each morning through Trafalger Square and past the National Gallery.

I decided to have a look round The National Gallery on the way home one day and was totally stunned by the paintings in there...I was totally bowled over by the whole experience. I can't believe now that I'd never been.... and that no one had told me to go. I'd seen many of the paintings in books over the years - and even our board game called 'Masterpiece' (what my grandpa used to call Mantleshelf), but in many ways these images do a disservice to the originals - they have nothing of the real colour and sheer brightness of the originals.

One of my favourites was the painting linked below by Gallen- Kallela of Finland. I liked the way when you moved away it suddenly changed from brushwork to a perfect reflection...

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/loadApplet?workNumber=NG6574&collectionPublisherSection=work

You can't take any photos in the gallery, but my London set is at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeeh2/sets/72157603272583376/

Comments:
I've never seen that painting and really loved it here online too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?